So here is the situation. You were watching your favorite TV program and as usual you encounter ad break while watching your favorite program. Who watches advertisements? Remote controls are to either skip the ads wherever possible or change the channels. Lets assume you fall into any of those two categories, and you don’t want to watch those Advertisements. Its a human tendency to not to watch boring repetitive ads on television, so you pick up the remote and try to shuffle through the channels. But wait… Its not working. Oh Karma!!.. You try to shrug off your remote on your hand but its still the same. You disparately try pressing every single key on the remote but all in vain. Then you thought “Oh… it must be the battery then!” You try to change the battery But that did not yield any positive outcome. And there might have been a case when you did not use your Music System’s remote for a long time and it was lying in dust somewhere. Now you took it out and its not working. What to do in this situation. Is there any problem with your remote or there is something wrong with the Music System or TV ? How to determine who is the culprit. This little trick will help you identify the culprit.
What do you need :
- A Mobile phone with Camera (Any Phone will do)
- A remote which is not working (Any IR based remote)
This trick would work for any remote control that works on the principle of infrared. By following the steps below you would be able to identify the problem. Whether its remote, battery or line of sight
- Fire up your mobile camera, DSLR, camcorder etc. (If you are using a camcorder, i would suggest you record all of this)
- Point your faulty remote control into your camera lens and then push some buttons on the remote.
- Now look at the camera’s LCD screen (not in the optical viewfinder). If the remote works, you’ll see a flashing light where the remote’s infrared emitter is. If you see no such light, then you can be pretty sure that the problem lies with the remote.
I was lucky to have a camera mobile at the time of writing this article. So I recorded a video to demonstrate the above trick with an Air Conditioner Remote.